I would like to see people commenting on the content of the blogs, rather than just posting a link. Links are helpful, and some people really need help in this regard, but others could really use help with their content.
These blogs are due at the end of the week and far too many of them have nothing on them except for their original outline. If you're stuck for what to post, read through the links that other people have posted and see what sort of things that they are writing about there. Or just through everyone else's blogs. Maybe you'll get some of your own ideas!
Anything can help inspire ideas and comments - pictures, lists, plans. It's difficult to keep commenting ideas on a topic which doesn't seem important to the writer. Take some interest in the subject and do a bit more research, and more tips and ideas will come from your peers as well. If you're still completely stuck at what to do next, then post about that and maybe people will have some guidance.
Also, if anyone posts their abstract up, it's a good way to get feedback on it before it's actually submitted. I'm more then willing to proof read any that I see posted, and I'm sure other people are as well.
I think creating these blogs is a much more useful method in gaining feedback and help then a presentation ever could be, but you need to put a bit more work in yourself in order to get that good feedback.
Thanks for the hints Morgan. The big question is how do we encourage people to use their blogs more often? Clearly the desire for a good mark in the course is not motivation enough. Maybe if people had games on their blogs then they would get more traffic?!
I recently had a problem with one picture from my post not being able to expand in a new window, but the one above was able to.
I had text between the two pictures and it doesn't like that for some reason. So for future reference if your want you multiple pictures to expand, you must place them below each other with nothing inbetween.
Hi for anyone doing anything on green building a good source of info is Mother Earth News.com. They have been around for forty or so years and were green way before it was cool. Just type your building topic into the search bar and you might find a pile of interesting info. They also sell books on a variety of subjects from strawbale bldgs, rammed earth construction, to solar power and water conservation etc etc.
How about adding something to your site about who has updated their blogs? Some kind of list to see who has made recent updates? This is our base site, usually where we can go to see recent information or developments and find a link to each person’s site. After we have made our updates we can post here and you can pass this on to other students. It can be discouraging if you want to help other students and they have done nothing recent to their blogs. You can spend a lot of time wading through these blogs, making comments and then nothing happens.
I think this would also encourage others to post regularly. It would keep me on my toes, I don’t mind getting feedback and being called on it when I don’t pull my weight. Sometimes all we need is a good kick in the butt by our peers to get moving.
There are so many topics on planning and architecture (even though Dale is probably happy), I suggest looking into topics in structural and mechanical. Walter and Denis are very good sources for information, ideas, and help. Your topic may get covered in 3rd year classes too.
Hey everyone, I am not sure how many of you are doing research to do with environmental protection, but I have an amazing site for anyone who is interesting. It's a little hard to use but once you get the hang of it it's not to bad. http://www.epa.gov/
If anyone needs some money to fund their research, you should check out: http://www.tru.ca/cuef.html . "Through the CUEF Steering Committee, students can apply for funding to attend conferences, field trips or competitions."
If anyone is doing Sustainability here's a great book that does it a different way than the six principals. Its called The Natural Step for Communities: How Cities and Towns can Change to Sustainable practises. Also you should check out the website its got lots of good stuff http://www.thenaturalstep.org/en/canada/. Hope this helps someone.
People have not been posting many/ any references, most likely due to my comment from last year below. I would like to see some more posting and specifically help with references as most people appear to be lacking in this regard.
15 comments:
I would like to see people commenting on the content of the blogs, rather than just posting a link. Links are helpful, and some people really need help in this regard, but others could really use help with their content.
These blogs are due at the end of the week and far too many of them have nothing on them except for their original outline. If you're stuck for what to post, read through the links that other people have posted and see what sort of things that they are writing about there. Or just through everyone else's blogs. Maybe you'll get some of your own ideas!
Anything can help inspire ideas and comments - pictures, lists, plans. It's difficult to keep commenting ideas on a topic which doesn't seem important to the writer. Take some interest in the subject and do a bit more research, and more tips and ideas will come from your peers as well. If you're still completely stuck at what to do next, then post about that and maybe people will have some guidance.
Also, if anyone posts their abstract up, it's a good way to get feedback on it before it's actually submitted. I'm more then willing to proof read any that I see posted, and I'm sure other people are as well.
I think creating these blogs is a much more useful method in gaining feedback and help then a presentation ever could be, but you need to put a bit more work in yourself in order to get that good feedback.
Thanks for the hints Morgan. The big question is how do we encourage people to use their blogs more often? Clearly the desire for a good mark in the course is not motivation enough. Maybe if people had games on their blogs then they would get more traffic?!
Not going to lie Dale, Games would be an eye catcher.
I have to agree with Morgan though, I believe the blogs are much more helpful than a presentation ever would be.
I recently had a problem with one picture from my post not being able to expand in a new window, but the one above was able to.
I had text between the two pictures and it doesn't like that for some reason. So for future reference if your want you multiple pictures to expand, you must place them below each other with nothing inbetween.
Hi
for anyone doing anything on green building a good source of info is Mother Earth News.com. They have been around for forty or so years and were green way before it was cool. Just type your building topic into the search bar and you might find a pile of interesting info. They also sell books on a variety of subjects from strawbale bldgs, rammed earth construction, to solar power and water conservation etc etc.
agree with Morgan.
How about adding something to your site about who has updated their blogs? Some kind of list to see who has made recent updates?
This is our base site, usually where we can go to see recent information or developments and find a link to each person’s site. After we have made our updates we can post here and you can pass this on to other students. It can be discouraging if you want to help other students and they have done nothing recent to their blogs. You can spend a lot of time wading through these blogs, making comments and then nothing happens.
I think this would also encourage others to post regularly. It would keep me on my toes, I don’t mind getting feedback and being called on it when I don’t pull my weight. Sometimes all we need is a good kick in the butt by our peers to get moving.
There are so many topics on planning and architecture (even though Dale is probably happy), I suggest looking into topics in structural and mechanical. Walter and Denis are very good sources for information, ideas, and help. Your topic may get covered in 3rd year classes too.
Hey everyone, I am not sure how many of you are doing research to do with environmental protection, but I have an amazing site for anyone who is interesting. It's a little hard to use but once you get the hang of it it's not to bad.
http://www.epa.gov/
If anyone needs some money to fund their research, you should check out: http://www.tru.ca/cuef.html .
"Through the CUEF Steering Committee, students can apply for funding to attend conferences, field trips or competitions."
Hey everyone
If anyone is doing Sustainability here's a great book that does it a different way than the six principals. Its called The Natural Step for Communities: How Cities and Towns can Change to Sustainable practises. Also you should check out the website its got lots of good stuff http://www.thenaturalstep.org/en/canada/. Hope this helps someone.
People have not been posting many/ any references, most likely due to my comment from last year below. I would like to see some more posting and specifically help with references as most people appear to be lacking in this regard.
Here is a link to the SFU APA style guide: http://www.lib.sfu.ca/help/writing/apa
Make sure that your references are in this format.
Post a Comment